[CentOS] Question about sub-domains

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Feb 18 19:50:57 UTC 2009

on 2-18-2009 11:40 AM Bo Lynch spake the following:
> We currently have a web server that is running apache on cent 5.2.
> We are upgrading our student info system so that it allows web access and
> the vendor (powerschool) is stating that this has to be a registered
> domain or a sub domain and only runs on Windows Server. My question is can
> you tell apache to point a subdomain to a diiferent IP address. For
> example, Our domain is currently amelia.k12.va.us. If someone goes to
> powerschool.amelia.k12.va.us it points to another IP other than itself?
> I have no experience with sub-domains so any input would be greatly
> appreciated.
> Thanks
This is easily done with DNS or redirects. If you control your DNS, you just
need an "A" record pointing to powerschool.amelia.k12.va.us with an ip address
reachable by the target audience (internal or external). With redirects you
could do it in apache, but you still need the servers ip address.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and