[CentOS] Question about sub-domains

Joost Waversveld joost at waversveld.nl
Wed Feb 18 19:55:27 UTC 2009

Bo Lynch wrote:
> We currently have a web server that is running apache on cent 5.2.
> We are upgrading our student info system so that it allows web access and
> the vendor (powerschool) is stating that this has to be a registered
> domain or a sub domain and only runs on Windows Server. My question is can
> you tell apache to point a subdomain to a diiferent IP address. For
> example, Our domain is currently amelia.k12.va.us. If someone goes to
> powerschool.amelia.k12.va.us it points to another IP other than itself?
> I have no experience with sub-domains so any input would be greatly
> appreciated.
> Thanks

You do not have to do this in Apache. The thing you need is a change in
the DNS. The DNS is a system that convert names (Like
powerschool.amelia.k12.va.us) in ip addresses.

To change the DNS you need to contact the person / company that controls
the DNS of your domain.

The windows server needs to listen to the domain
powerschool.amelia.k12.va.us though.

Best regards,

--
Joost Waversveld