[CentOS] Samba Permissions - Sanity check

Tim Nelson

tnelson at rockbochs.com
Thu Feb 19 19:54:41 UTC 2009

Greetings list-

I have a Samba-centric question to ask. I have a particular user who claims Samba has the ability to allow users to create/edit/modify existing files of a share but NOT delete them. To my knowledge, the aforementioned permissions require the user to have write access to the share which *ALSO* gives them the ability to delete files as well.

The Samba server is nothing special, simply the latest Samba running on CentOS 5, ext3 filesystem.

I've been around and around on this topic and I'm just hoping someone can give me a little sanity by confirming 'yay or nay' whether this is possible or not.

--Tim