[CentOS] Repo order - priority plugins

Jeff jlar310 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 15:22:34 UTC 2009

> On 2/27/09, Linux Advocate <linuxhousedn at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Guys, what is the best way of arranging the repos with regards to their
>> priority? Any ideas, especially for all non base ones?
>>
>> /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo - priority = 1, 2
>>
>> /etc/yum.repos.d/atrpms.repo
>>
>> /etc/yum.repos.d/epel.repo
>>
>> /etc/yum.repos.d/kbs-extras.repo
>> /etc/yum.repos.d/kbs-misc.repo
>>
>> /etc/yum.repos.d/rpmforge.repo
>>
>> How would we position dags repo?
>
> Check out this URL:
> http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/Priorities

I'm not sure that was the question. I think the OP wants to know in
what order he should prioritize all those repos. To which I say: What
the heck do you need that many repos for in the first place? Mixing
third party repos is usually problematic, even if properly
prioritized. It becomes a dependency nightmare.

If you really need those repos, I would install them, but configure
them with "enabled=0" and manually enable them on the yum command line
only when needed.

Perhaps a little background would help. What services do you need from
all of those repos? Are you running a do-everything desktop machine,
or servers? Have you considered virtualization as a way to isolate the
instances where third party packages are needed?

--
Jeff