[CentOS] Yum update conflicts perl-Math-BigInt

Thu Feb 5 18:14:31 UTC 2009
Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com>

Dan Carl wrote on Thu, 05 Feb 2009 11:27:30 -0600:

> If I remove the conflicting perl packages won't this break MailScanner?

No. It might break your Perl, though, if it overwrote anything from Perl.
In that case you want to reinstall Perl.

> I doubt he would install them if they weren't needed.

Believe me. I've been using MailScanner since long on many systems and
also on CentOS since I changed to CentOS in 2004 or so.

> If I uninstall the older perl package versions and install the newer
> ones from rpmforge will MailScanner still function properly?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. The point is: Perl in CentOS has quite
a few "packages" that come with MailScanner already built-in. There is
*no* need to replace them with what comes with MailScanner. These should
remain as is.
In other words: you only need to add those packages which are really
missing (from rpmforge). All the "packages" that are built-in should not
be "upgraded" at all. This are the following packages:
perl-bignum
perl-File-Spec
perl-File-Temp
perl-Getopt-Long
perl-IO
perl-Math-BigRat
perl-Test-Harness
perl-Test-Simple

which means you do:
yum install perl-Convert-BinHex perl-Convert-TNEF perl-Convert-BinHex
perl-Convert-TNEF perl-DBD-SQLite perl-Filesys-Df perl-IO-stringy perl-
MIME-tools perl-Net-CIDR perl-OLE-Storage_Lite perl-Pod-Escapes perl-Pod-
Simple perl-Test-Pod perl-Time-HiRes

with rpmforge enabled and then install mailscanner*.rpm (and not use
install.sh!). That's all.

There is another solution for you. You can use the repo by Hugo van der
Kooiy who has taken a lot of effort to workaround these problems. You can
either install his "mailscanner-wrapper" or his "mailscanner" package.
mailscanner will only install the necessary additional packages.
mailscanner-wrapper will install a few extra packages ("updates") that
were built by Hugo in a way that they don't conflict with the built-in
files.
http://yum.vanderkooij.org/el5/

Kai

--