[CentOS] [SOLVED] Re: Sound with headphones on: Streamaudio perfect but youtube and system-config-soundcard silent

Sat Feb 7 15:22:28 UTC 2009
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Sat, 2009-02-07 at 09:52 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> <snip>

> Bill: After I powered the box down and let it sit for awhile and then
> powered back up, I was able to hear the audio coming from youtube.com
> without any problem, as well as audio from streamaudio.com   Never was
> able to hear the local sound test in system-config-soundcard but since
> it is otherwise working now, I consider this solved.

Good. But I would still be curious (being obsessive-compulsive about
these things) about why. It's got to be some configuration or mute
thing. Oh well, as long as your good.

> If those ear
> plugs had a longer cable, they would be perfect....Thanks. Lanny

It used to be Radio Shack was my friend. I've bought jacks that you can
assemble yourself (screw-in type available, but I always soldered) and
make extension cables. If the extension is not too long, you should not
notice any ill-effects. To minimize the increased resistance, I make the
extension with a size or two larger wire. I've not detected any
distortions associated with the joints or change in wire size over the
short lengths I've used.

Maybe you have something like the Radio Shack (or any electronics parts
house) in Columbia near you?

--
Bill