[CentOS] [SOLVED] Re: Sound with headphones on: Streamaudio perfect but youtube and system-config-soundcard silent

Sat Feb 7 17:33:36 UTC 2009
Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com>

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 10:22 AM, William L. Maltby
<CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-02-07 at 09:52 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
>> <snip>
>> Bill: After I powered the box down and let it sit for awhile and then
>> powered back up, I was able to hear the audio coming from youtube.com
>> without any problem, as well as audio from streamaudio.com   Never was
>> able to hear the local sound test in system-config-soundcard but since
>> it is otherwise working now, I consider this solved.
>
> Good. But I would still be curious (being obsessive-compulsive about
> these things) about why. It's got to be some configuration or mute
> thing. Oh well, as long as your good.

I am also curious about why that does not work.

>> If those ear
>> plugs had a longer cable, they would be perfect....Thanks. Lanny
>
> It used to be Radio Shack was my friend. I've bought jacks that you can
> assemble yourself (screw-in type available, but I always soldered) and
> make extension cables. If the extension is not too long, you should not
> notice any ill-effects. To minimize the increased resistance, I make the
> extension with a size or two larger wire. I've not detected any
> distortions associated with the joints or change in wire size over the
> short lengths I've used.
>
> Maybe you have something like the Radio Shack (or any electronics parts
> house) in Columbia near you?

No Radio Shack here that I'm aware of. I will eventually find what I
need, to make an extension cable. Those little ear phones are intended
for use with cell phones, MP3/MP4 players, on airplanes; so the cables
are very short. My daughter has one that cost twice as much and the
cable on it is even shorter..... Much more comfortable than a headset
with a headband.....