[CentOS] What is the System Event Log?

Tue Feb 10 13:57:43 UTC 2009
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>

Peter Kjellstrom wrote:

>> My Dell PowerEdge T105 running Centos-5.2
>> has started crashing fairly often (3 times in the last 2 hours).
>> The message on the screen tells me to look at the System Event Log.
>> Is this just /var/log/messages ?
>
> No, the SEL is maintained on the BMC/IPMI-controller. In Linux you can
> (assuming you have /etc/init.d/ipmi running) view it with:
>  ipmitool sel list
>
> You will need OpenIPMI and OpenIPMI-tools (from base) for the above to
> work.

Thanks for the info.
As I mentioned in another posting,
I found that I could read the System Event Log
after pressing F2 (Enter Setup) on boot.

I tried the command above, but it did not work.
I found I already had OpenIPMI (which I have never heard of) installed,
and I yum-installed OpenIPMI-tools .
But when I ran the command I got:
[tim at helen ~]$ sudo service ipmi restart
Stopping all ipmi drivers:                                 [  OK  ]
Starting ipmi drivers:                                     [FAILED]
[tim at helen ~]$ sudo ipmitool sel list
Could not open device at /dev/ipmi0 or /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0:
No such file or directory
Get SEL Info command failed