[CentOS] What is the System Event Log?

Tue Feb 10 16:44:39 UTC 2009
Peter Kjellstrom <cap at nsc.liu.se>

On Tuesday 10 February 2009, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Peter Kjellstrom wrote:
> > No, the SEL is maintained on the BMC/IPMI-controller. In Linux you can
> > (assuming you have /etc/init.d/ipmi running) view it with:
> >  ipmitool sel list
> >
> > You will need OpenIPMI and OpenIPMI-tools (from base) for the above to
> > work.
> I tried the command above, but it did not work.
> I found I already had OpenIPMI (which I have never heard of) installed,
> and I yum-installed OpenIPMI-tools .
> But when I ran the command I got:
> [tim at helen ~]$ sudo service ipmi restart
> Stopping all ipmi drivers:                                 [  OK  ]
> Starting ipmi drivers:                                     [FAILED]

This should not happen but essentially means that the kernel you are running
does not have a driver compatible with the server you are running it on.

> [tim at helen ~]$ sudo ipmitool sel list
> Could not open device at /dev/ipmi0 or /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0:
> No such file or directory

This device is created by the step that failed above. Without a proper ipmi
driver load you cannot access the BMC via a local device.

However, with or without /dev/ipmi0 you can access the BMC remotely with
(assuming you have an IP configured etc.).

/Peter