[CentOS] clustering and load balancing Apache

Tue Feb 10 19:31:07 UTC 2009
Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org>

Sergej Kandyla wrote:
> apache is good as backend server for dynamic applications.
> You could use something like nginx, haproxy as frontend for balancing
> multiple backend servers.
> I'm using nginx. This light web server could serve many thousand
> concurrent connections! It works great!

In addition to the user-space solutions mentioned above, there are also
kernel-level solutions, such as Linux Virtual Server, or LVS:

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/

I am under the impression that, speaking in general, user-space
balancers provide more features (are smarter), while the kernel-space
ones are faster (provide more in terms of raw speed and max load). I
could be wrong.

Can anybody provide a performance comparison between, say, nginx and
LVS? (max connections, max new connections rate, max bandwidth, max
packets per second, etc.)

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/