[CentOS] Practical experience with NTLM/Windows Integrated Authentication [Apache]

Sat Feb 14 02:22:19 UTC 2009
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu <m3freak at thesandhufamily.ca>

On Fri, 2009-02-13 at 12:11 +0100, Sven wrote:
> I wish to migrate Windows IIS webserver to CentOS. Killer-Feature is
> SSO with Windows Integrated Authentication[0].
>
> Anyone have experience with such a setup and can say a few sentences
> how to do that and if its stable?

I've done this on a few servers at work and it works great.  Stable and
essentially hands off after the initial config. The very first time I
set it up, I had a tough time figuring out all the bits that were
necessary to make it work, but I guess that's true of anything you do
the first time.

You know what the best part is? Nothing was documented. HA!  It's
actually quite horrible.  My plan is to set up the Apache/Windows AD
integration again on another box and to document it at that time.

Your two keys to success:

1. you better have a solid understanding of administering a CentOS
   system.  You don't have to know Apache inside and out, but good
   grasp of how to configure apache is a plus.

2. make sure your Windows ADS is configured properly. If there's
   anything that will throw off your project, it's the Windows server.
   Your Windows admin better know his stuff!

Regards,

Ranbir

--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu
Linux 2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux