[CentOS] Samba Permissions - Sanity check

Thu Feb 19 21:29:03 UTC 2009
MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com>

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:15 PM, nate <centos at linuxpowered.net> wrote:
> Tim Nelson wrote:
>
>> I've been around and around on this topic and I'm just hoping someone can
>> give me a little sanity by confirming 'yay or nay' whether this is possible
>> or not.
>
> It may be possible to prevent them from deleting a file, but if they
> have write access it wouldn't be possible from effectively deleting
> the file by wiping it's contents(truncating it).

However, file creation and deletion are functions of the directory
permissions where the file resides.  If a directory allows a user to
write to it, they can create and delete files in that directory with
reckless abandon.

There are probably some intricate ways around this particular problem,
but they can get pretty complicated really fast.

HTH.

mhr