[CentOS] Samba Permissions - Sanity check

Thu Feb 19 21:31:26 UTC 2009
Tim Nelson <tnelson at rockbochs.com>

----- "MHR" <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:15 PM, nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>
> wrote:
> > Tim Nelson wrote:
> >
> >> I've been around and around on this topic and I'm just hoping
> someone can
> >> give me a little sanity by confirming 'yay or nay' whether this is
> possible
> >> or not.
> >
> > It may be possible to prevent them from deleting a file, but if
> they
> > have write access it wouldn't be possible from effectively deleting
> > the file by wiping it's contents(truncating it).
> >
> However, file creation and deletion are functions of the directory
> permissions where the file resides.  If a directory allows a user to
> write to it, they can create and delete files in that directory with
> reckless abandon.
>
> There are probably some intricate ways around this particular
> problem,
> but they can get pretty complicated really fast.
>
> HTH.
>
> mhr

I've been trying to devise a way around this problem and as you mentioned, it gets extremely complicated quickly. It's even more complicated than allowing users to delete files and restoring the file from a backup set. Well, at least I don't feel I'm going insane anymore (for now...).

Thank you to all who responded.

--Tim