[CentOS] Samba Permissions - Sanity check

Thu Feb 19 22:17:18 UTC 2009
Alex H. Vandenham <alex at avantel.ca>

On Thursday 19 February 2009 04:29:03 pm MHR wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:15 PM, nate <centos at linuxpowered.net> wrote:
> > Tim Nelson wrote:
> >> I've been around and around on this topic and I'm just hoping someone
> >> can give me a little sanity by confirming 'yay or nay' whether this is
> >> possible or not.
> >
> > It may be possible to prevent them from deleting a file, but if they
> > have write access it wouldn't be possible from effectively deleting
> > the file by wiping it's contents(truncating it).
>
> However, file creation and deletion are functions of the directory
> permissions where the file resides.  If a directory allows a user to
> write to it, they can create and delete files in that directory with
> reckless abandon.
>
> There are probably some intricate ways around this particular problem,
> but they can get pretty complicated really fast.

I've always 'enjoyed' the solutions the samba team found for interoperability.
Here's a good reference that provides the juicy details:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/AccessControls.html

Makes me shudder just to read it again  . . .

==