[CentOS] Samba Permissions - Sanity check

Fri Feb 20 16:29:22 UTC 2009
Tim Nelson <tnelson at rockbochs.com>

> I've always 'enjoyed' the solutions the samba team found for
> interoperability.
> Here's a good reference that provides the juicy details:
>
> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/AccessControls.html
>
> Makes me shudder just to read it again  . . .

> ==

Ugh. Well, I did find an 'interesting' paragraph from the page you referencedthat seems to sum up my problem:

--BEGIN--
Protecting Directories and Files from Deletion
People have asked on the Samba mailing list how is it possible to protect files or directories from deletion by users. For example, Windows NT/2K/XP provides the capacity to set access controls on a directory into which people can write files but not delete them. It is possible to set an ACL on a Windows file that permits the file to be written to but not deleted. Such concepts are foreign to the UNIX operating system file space. Within the UNIX file system anyone who has the ability to create a file can write to it. Anyone who has write permission on the directory that contains a file and has write permission for it has the capability to delete it.
--END--

--Tim