[CentOS] (off-topic)Update sii-3512A serial ata controller - which flash memory?

Wed Feb 25 19:46:18 UTC 2009
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 2-25-2009 11:06 AM Marcelo M. Garcia spake the following:
> Scott Silva wrote:
>> on 2-25-2009 7:33 AM Marcelo M. Garcia spake the following:
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> I had to update the BIOS of a Silicon Image 3512A Serial ATA controller.
>>> I'm not using RAID.
>>>
>>> When I run the updater program (updflash.exe), it asks me to choose
>>> flash memory from a list, something like: AMD Am29F010B (1 Megabit), AMD
>>> Am29LV01B (1 Megabit), etc.
>>>
>>> How can I find out which is flash memory of the controller?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Marcelo
>> Did you look at the controller? Maybe the flash chip is labeled.
>>

> Hi
>
> I tried. I think the chip is under the raiser for the second processor.
> Which I tried to remove but I couldn't. But it shouldn't ask this kind
> of stuff, which flash memory is in the chip. It seems very strange.
>
> Thanks anyway.
>
> Marcelo
True. A better written flash program should be able to query the chip and ID
it. Silicon Image is a chip manufacturer, not a board designer. So the tools
are usually more generic.

Is it an add in card or is it built into the motherboard?

If it is built into the motherboard, the flash image is sometimes bound in
with the system bios, and is much harder to replace.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and