[CentOS] (off-topic)Update sii-3512A serial ata controller - which flash memory?

Thu Feb 26 10:11:27 UTC 2009
Marcelo M. Garcia <marcelo.maia.garcia at googlemail.com>

Scott Silva wrote:
> on 2-25-2009 11:06 AM Marcelo M. Garcia spake the following:
>> Scott Silva wrote:
>>> on 2-25-2009 7:33 AM Marcelo M. Garcia spake the following:

>>> Did you look at the controller? Maybe the flash chip is labeled.
>>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I tried. I think the chip is under the raiser for the second processor.
>> Which I tried to remove but I couldn't. But it shouldn't ask this kind
>> of stuff, which flash memory is in the chip. It seems very strange.
>>
>> Thanks anyway.
>>
>> Marcelo
> True. A better written flash program should be able to query the chip and ID
> it. Silicon Image is a chip manufacturer, not a board designer. So the tools
> are usually more generic.
>
> Is it an add in card or is it built into the motherboard?
>
> If it is built into the motherboard, the flash image is sometimes bound in
> with the system bios, and is much harder to replace.

Hi

Good point. The controller is on-board. This gives me the idea that
maybe I could find out the flash memory by the serial number of the
motherboard.

Thanks

Marcelo