[CentOS] CD burning issues & questions

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sun Jan 4 20:14:48 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 11:19:46AM -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:

> <snip>
> > No.  Perhaps I did not make it clear.  I did not allow the >disk to be mounted.
> > The tip opened up when k3b recognised the disk, which >has nothing to do with
> > mounting.  If you can't avoid mounting the disk, then you >must umount it
> > before attempting to use it with k3b.
>
> OK. I've made  some tests and if you believe that anything I ran into
> warrants a bug  or support request against K3b, on CentOS.org and/or
> RedHat.com please tell me.
>
> I opened a terminal window, "su -"  and then "umount /dev/hdd" and
> then I exited from the shell.
>
> (a) I can use the drop down menu, "Tools" > "Erase CD-RW", without any problem.
>
> (b) I can write new files to the CD-RW. I did not get a message,
> asking me if I wanted it to erase the CD-RW media. It did *not* erase

There is an option in K3B to automatically erase RW media when it finds
one in its drive. You have to set that option or else it defaults to not
erasing it (and not asking you).

On the Settings menu, Configure K3B, Writing, Advanced, is a checkbox
labeled "Automatically erase CD-RWs and DVD-RWs". If that's not checked
it won't automatically erase it, and if it IS checked, it will ask you
first.

                       I can do all things through Christ
                              who strengthens me.