[CentOS] OT - Consumer MOBO + CPU - CentOS 5 - Xen

Rudi Ahlers rudiahlers at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 18:22:11 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 6:32 PM, Tom Brown <tom at ng23.net> wrote:

>> Probably depends on how much you want to spend.
>> Core7i will blow everything out of the water, even entry-level Xeons, I
>> believe....
>> The boards and CPUs are expensive - but you can add a lot of RAM (six
>> sockets instead of four).
>>

> OK thanks - from what i have just read about the Core i7 i dont think
> i'll be going that route as they seem $$ and not many mobo's available.
>
> will keep looking
>
> thanks

We've had great success in using both Intel and Gigabyte motherboard.
If your budget is tight, then a mobo with only 2 memory modules (i.e.
4GB max RAM) will work well. And you can use anything from an Intel
Core 2 Duo 6750 CPU upwards - well those are the ones that I find the
most stable. If you don't need fully virtualization, i.e. don't need
the Intel VT technology, then the cheaper CPU's like 2140 and updards
will also work well.

For a few extra bucks you could use the Intel desktop motherboard with
4 memory modules to get 8GB RAM, and s ome of them can take up to an
Intel XEN 3000 class CPU.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers