[CentOS] After BIND update owner changed and restart failed

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Jan 12 14:45:22 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 14:19 +0100, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Ralph Angenendt wrote on Sun, 11 Jan 2009 18:59:37 +0100:
>
> > You have a windows machine on the network and it gets its address by dhcp?
>
> Yeah, I knew that ;-)
>
> > If so it now tries to tell the name server that it has a new fancy shiny
> > address!
>
> I thought I had configured the client not to do this. But looking now I
> don't see such an option. On the other hand, I can't see an option in
> named.conf that would allow that. Isn't there a way to tell named to just
> ignore/not accept these updates? From the error messages it looks like it
> accepts them, but they fail afterwards either because of missing permissions
> to the file or rndc or so. Or is there an dhcp option that would tell the
> client to stop this? I have "ignore client-updates;" but that obviously is
> an option for dhcpd only.
----
by default, BIND will ignore attempts by clients to register dynamic dns
after getting an ip address from dhcp - that is what is being logged.

You would have to 'allow-update' within a specific zone definition to
change default behavior.

FWIW - I think that DHCP/BIND and having clients update DNS makes a lot
of sense for an office intranet but hey, that's just me.

Craig