[CentOS] Help with a good recovery plan.. Linux rescue?

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Mon Jan 19 22:18:57 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009, Glenn wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>I have a machine that crashed. Some part of the motherboard (power
>supply-related) went south.
>
>The motherboard, CPU and memory have been replaced with a much newer
>architecture. The OS and data are intact on two SATA drives that were
>RAID1 with LVM.
>
>I am going to use 'linux rescue' to recover the LVM backup so I can
>mount the RAIDs (there were two) in a new CentOS install, on a third disk.
>
>I have no indication that I could recover the previous CentOS
>(somewhere between CentOS 5.1 and 5.2 on updates).
>
>Can I use 'linux rescue' to fix that OS up to boot it? The kernel
>panics in its current state (because the hardware architecture is so
>strikingly different). What is the methodology of fixing the kernel
>in this circumstance?

I don't know that this will be a major problem if my experience
years ago going from Caldera OpenLinux something-or-other to SuSE
Pro was any example.  The old Caldera system had a multi-disk
LVM RAID which I had moved to a newer system, fully expecting to
lose the data after installing a new Linux OS on the system.

I did a fresh install on the primary HD without touching the
external RAID drives, and, much to my surprise, the new Linux
found the RAID drives, asking if I wanted to mount them.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results
from too much government. --Thomas Jefferson.