[CentOS] Quickbooks and Samba and Oplocks... OH MY

Thu Jan 29 16:36:41 UTC 2009
Tim Nelson <tnelson at rockbochs.com>

It is widely known that Quickbooks has a horrible storage engine, "requires" Windows to host multiuser access, etc. However, I've successfully been storing QuickBooks files on Samba shares at a handful of locations with no real issues other than slight performance degradation. However, a somewhat recent thread here mentioned the proper use of oplock'ing in the Samba configuration to considerably increase performance/reliability.

Could someone please share any hints/tips on configuring Samba for optimum use with QuickBooks? I have one server in particular that appears to be suffering performance problems with QuickBooks but runs lightning fast with all other applications. If I recall, and as the subject mentions, I believe the key lies with the oplock settings.

Thanks!

Tim Nelson
Systems/Network Support
Rockbochs Inc.