[CentOS] Quickbooks and Samba and Oplocks... OH MY

Thu Jan 29 16:54:36 UTC 2009
Brett Serkez <bserkez at gmail.com>

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 11:36 AM, Tim Nelson <tnelson at rockbochs.com> wrote:
> It is widely known that Quickbooks has a horrible storage engine, "requires" Windows to host multiuser access, etc. However, I've successfully been storing QuickBooks files on Samba shares at a handful of locations with no real issues other than slight performance degradation. However, a somewhat recent thread here mentioned the proper use of oplock'ing in the Samba configuration to considerably increase performance/reliability.

I am able to host all files other than Quickbooks on Samba shares.
The issue with QuickBooks is they run their own WIndows service on
port 10172 in addition to Windows file sharing.

If someone has figured out a way around this, I would prefer to host
multiple user QuickBooks access on Samba.

Brett