[CentOS] Email/GroupWare Suite

Wed Jan 7 20:59:35 UTC 2009
Bill Campbell <centos at celestial.com>

On Wed, Jan 07, 2009, Bo Lynch wrote:

>On Wed, January 7, 2009 3:38 pm, Tim Nelson wrote:
>I would have thought that this was a small install:) We probably have at
>the most around 200-250. I was just guessing for growth. We too opt open
>source. Is zimbra a resource hog? Meaning do you think it would work with
>maybe a xeon quadcore with 4gb RAM?

Zimbra isn't too bad in terms of resources.  We have it running on a system
with several hundred users, primarily doing e-mail on a system with a
single Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz and 4GB RAM.

My primary gripe with Zimbra is that it wants to take over a machine with
its own versions of openldap, postfix, amavisd, clamav, etc., and these are
not always kept current.  We have one Zimbra system running as a VM under
the free VMware server, allowing us to screen incoming and outgoing e-mail
with current versions of amavisd and clamav before passing it to the VM for
final delivery.

Zimbra also works independently of the Linux user system, which some
consider a feature, but I don't like as I like to be able to handle many
things at the user's $HOME directory level.  In particular we normally use
courier-imap with Maildir storage, and our own server-side filtering and
routing before delivery.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186

It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from
falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the
Government from falling into error.