[CentOS] Email/GroupWare Suite

Wed Jan 7 23:54:02 UTC 2009
Bo Lynch <blynch at ameliaschools.com>

On Wed, January 7, 2009 3:59 pm, Bill Campbell wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2009, Bo Lynch wrote:
>>
>>On Wed, January 7, 2009 3:38 pm, Tim Nelson wrote:
>>I would have thought that this was a small install:) We probably have at
>>the most around 200-250. I was just guessing for growth. We too opt open
>>source. Is zimbra a resource hog? Meaning do you think it would work with
>>maybe a xeon quadcore with 4gb RAM?
>
> Zimbra isn't too bad in terms of resources.  We have it running on a
> system
> with several hundred users, primarily doing e-mail on a system with a
> single Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz and 4GB RAM.
>
> My primary gripe with Zimbra is that it wants to take over a machine with
> its own versions of openldap, postfix, amavisd, clamav, etc., and these
> are
> not always kept current.  We have one Zimbra system running as a VM under
> the free VMware server, allowing us to screen incoming and outgoing e-mail
> with current versions of amavisd and clamav before passing it to the VM
> for
> final delivery.
>
> Zimbra also works independently of the Linux user system, which some
> consider a feature, but I don't like as I like to be able to handle many
> things at the user's $HOME directory level.  In particular we normally use
> courier-imap with Maildir storage, and our own server-side filtering and
> routing before delivery.
>
> Bill
> --
> INTERNET:   bill at celestial.com  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
> Voice:          (206) 236-1676  Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
> Fax:            (206) 232-9186

So are you required to run zimbras release of these packages?

If you are forced to use them then how delayed are the releases.
Are you able to use something other than amavis and clam for scanning?? We
use a product called VAMS released by central command for spam and
antivirus on our mail server currently. These guys are very generous with
pricing when it comes to educational facilities in case anyone is looking.