[CentOS] vixie-cron package from RHEL 5 FasTrack?

Fri Jan 16 20:49:33 UTC 2009
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

Alfred von Campe wrote:
> What is the best way to get the RPM described in the following URL
> installed on CentOS 5.2:
>
>    http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2008-0586.html
>
> I have users who can't run cron jobs because their home directories
> are NFS mounted, and I believe installing this RPM would fix the
> problem.  I remember reading that the CentOS developers are working
> on supporting the RHEL FasTrack mechanism, but other than that I am
> not very familiar with the purpose and workings of FasTrack.  For
> instance, will RHEL 5 Update 3 (and therefore CentOS 5.3) include
> this fix?  Why wouldn't this RPM make it into the current update
> stream since it was released 6 months ago?
>
> Alfred

Hi Alfred,

I've rebuilt most of the upstream fastrack packages for CentOS-5.2 here:

http://centos.toracat.org/ned/CentOS-5/testing/

Usual disclaimers apply - provided "as is", and use at your own risk.

CentOS-5.2 does include some upstream Fastrack packages in updates (for
example, ghostscript, scim etc) - I have no idea why CentOS decided to
build some and not others, nor why they were shipped in updates and not
a separate fastrack-type repo as for C4. You'd have to ask the devs that
question.

My (limited) understanding of upstream's Fastrack channel is that these
bug fixes will be released into the next point update release (e.g,
RHEL-5.3).