[CentOS] Emergency rescue help needed

Thu Jan 29 19:44:18 UTC 2009
Robert <kerplop at sbcglobal.net>

Anne Wilson wrote:

>>> I do have a UPS, and it's fully charged.  The system is just
>>> spontaneously rebooting or shutting down.
>>>
>> My first guesses would be the system power supply or the CPU fan.
>>

> I'm beginning to think that way.  The smartctl long test has completed
> without errors.  I think that I'll dig out the specs for the mobo/cpu
> tonight, then buy a new PSU and CPU fan in the morning.
>
> Anne

Anne, the machine I'm using right now ate my lunch big-time, perhaps a
year ago.  It turned out to be the front panel momentary power switch on
the junky consumer-grade case.  The really weird thing is, this box runs
24x7 and the switch hasn't been used very much. Go figure.
Work-around/proof was to disconnect the power switch entirely, plugging
reset switch to the vacated pwr sw header.