[CentOS] Emergency rescue help needed

Thu Jan 29 20:23:40 UTC 2009
Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com>

On 1/29/09, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> I do have a UPS, and it's fully charged.  The system is just
>>> spontaneously rebooting or shutting down.
>>
>> My first guesses would be the system power supply or the CPU fan.
>>
> I'm beginning to think that way.  The smartctl long test has completed
> without errors.  I think that I'll dig out the specs for the mobo/cpu
> tonight, then buy a new PSU and CPU fan in the morning.

Assuming that the Diagnostic tests you run on the hard drive and RAM
are OK, if the box was made by Dell, Compaq/HP, etc., they probably
have Diagnostics you can run on the mobo/cpu that you can Download
from their web site. If not, hopefully from the web site of the mobo
manufacturer.

You said that the UPS is fully charged. I wonder if you need a UPS
with larger capacity and if your UPS is working properly. Depends on
how long the frequent outages were that day. My observation is that if
the power goes down (especially when we have Thunderstorm activity) it
may come back up and then go down again, sometimes in 1 or 2 minutes
or less.

The cheap PSU's are vastly over rated, with regard to their capacity.
The one I bought for this Dell Dimension 2400 a few weeks ago says
"550 watts". The motherboard repairman told me he believes the true
capacity is about 50% of that.....

If your data is critical, the backups should be stored off site. There
are some companies mentioned on webhostingtalk.com who provide backup
service to their servers over the Internet.

In my own box, the vast majority of the symptoms, if not all symptoms,
disappeared, after I unplugged the connectors and reseated them. Then,
the new PSU.....   In my wife's box, a strange intermittent problem,
where the BIOS couldn't see the hard drive when booting, disappeared,
when I replaced the EIDE cable.

When you have the cover off, put your hand on the Shroud over the CPU
and see whether or not it is hot or cool. If it is hot, that's not an
indication of good cooling.  The Capacitors on the motherboard should
look alike and not be hot to the touch.  GL