[CentOS] Emergency rescue help needed

Thu Jan 29 20:34:12 UTC 2009
Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>

On Thursday 29 January 2009 20:23:40 Lanny Marcus wrote:
> Anne, the machine I'm using right now ate my lunch big-time, perhaps a
> year ago.  It turned out to be the front panel momentary power switch on
> the junky consumer-grade case.  The really weird thing is, this box runs
> 24x7 and the switch hasn't been used very much. Go figure.
> Work-around/proof was to disconnect the power switch entirely, plugging
> reset switch to the vacated pwr sw header.

As far as I can see, all that's gone is my ~/.kde - and that's a big enough
pain :-)  So far, everything I've checked has been fine, so I'm thinking that
it's either power or over-heating.  Since I've been running tests for several
hours, I'm inclined to rule out over-heating, so I'll get a new PSU.  The case
was not a cheap one, but it did have a built-in PSU.  Come to think of it, I
do believe that I have a 400w PSU in my cupboard, that is a known good brand,
and unused.

Anne