[CentOS] modern motherboard for centos-5

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Sat Jul 4 17:18:56 UTC 2009

fred smith wrote:
> I'm considering upgrading, and am trying to choose a modern motherboard
> that nevertheless fully works with Centos5/RHEL5.

What role is that system going to play?

I assume server because I'd put money down that in excess of
99% of CentOS installations are servers. (that number
started at 95% and I kept jacking it up higher the more
I thought about it..)

In which case..

Supermicro has a pretty large selection of Istanbul-ready
boards, you don't really mention any special requirements
outside of OS compatibility so it's hard to say what board
is best:

http://www.supermicro.com/Istanbul/Istanbul.cfm?pg=MB

Pretty much all of them should work fine with CentOS 5, of course
I would avoid the on board controllers for disks, use an external
controller like a 3Ware or something mainly for performance
reasons.

Tyan has plenty of good boards too.

nate