[CentOS] NIC traffic monitoring, recording and reporting software?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 16:40:47 UTC 2009

James B. Byrne wrote:
> I have a remote CentOS-5.3 installation that shares traffic with
> another enterprise.  I want to record and measure the actual network
> traffic that comes into and goes out of that host's net i/f on a
> monthly basis for billing verification purposes.  Does CentOS have a
> software package to accomplish this?
>
> I have run across references to a package called vnstat as a
> possible answer to my requirements, but I cannot seem to locate a
> CentOS rpm package for it.

There are several tools that will collect interface traffic data via
SNMP and record it so you can graph, show high/low/average values over a
time span, etc.  Cacti (in the epel repo) is probably the easiest to set
up, OpenNMS (http://www.opennms.org) probably the most complete.  These
could also get their data from a port on a managed switch or router if
that makes it easier to show the connections you need to split out.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com