[CentOS] CentOS/SNMP update breaks MRTG?

Jerry Franz

jfranz at freerun.com
Tue Jul 14 15:31:31 UTC 2009

Noob Centos Admin wrote:
> I got itchy fingers over the weekend and decided to fix what wasn't
> broken and upgraded one of the older servers from Centos 5.2 to Centos
> 5.3. Following the recommended process of updating glibc and such
> before the rest, it appeared to work perfectly and rebooted without
> problem.
> [...]
>
> Did anybody else have similar experiences with MRTG failing after the
> update and what was the simple fix? It does not make any sense that I
> have to jump through so much hoops to get just the default
> functionality back. Thus I believe there must be one small thing I'm
> overlooking.

Check the snmpd.options file (it can be at either
/etc/snmpd/snmpd.options or /etc/sysconfig/snmpd.options depending on
your system history). When I upgraded to 5.3 I found that it broke the
options I was using to suppress logging of the SNMP polling. A set of
options that work are

OPTIONS="-Ln -Lf /dev/null -p /var/run/snmpd.pid"

--
Benjamin Franz