[CentOS] module-info vs pci.ids

Thu Jul 2 20:16:42 UTC 2009
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

Hello -

It's been sooooo long since I've tried hacking the kickstart
media to include an updated driver but I guess that time has
come again for me at least, getting an updated "igb" driver
into the CentOS 5.2 installation for a HP DL165G5p(I'm not
ready yet for CentOS 5.3).

Anyways, I had a pretty basic question, I added a bunch of
entries into the pci.ids file that were not there previously
that came with the newer driver, including:

        10a7  82575EB Gigabit Network Connection
        10a9  82575EB Gigabit Backplane Connection
        10c9  82576 Gigabit Network Connection
        10d6  82575GB Gigabit Network Connection
        10e6  82576 Gigabit Network Connection
        10e7  82576 Gigabit Network Connection
        10e8  82576 Gigabit Network Connection
        150a  82576NS Gigabit Network Connection

This particular network chipset is a "10c9"

When looking at the module-info file for the igb driver I see:

igb
        eth
        "Intel 82575EB Gigabit Network/Backplane Connection"

Which does not match the description for 10c9 which is
"82575EB Gigabit Backplane Connection", the closest match I
can find in the pci.ids file is:

10a7  82575EB Gigabit Network Connection

Do I need to change the module-info so it recognizes the 10c9
driver as matching igb?

I believe I inserted the driver correctly into the modules file
though the installer doesn't detect the NIC right away, it
takes me to the driver selection screen which I choose igb and
tell it to load, then it tells me no driver found...

BUT

If I hit ALT-F4 I see the correct driver loading and it shows
eth0/eth1 is there.

screen shot:
http://portal.aphroland.org/~aphro/driver.png

However despite that the installer refuses to continue.

This is the first driver I've inserted that had different
descriptions for the various devices/pci IDs, so I suspect this
may be the issue.

Or if I can add another entry in module-info for the same driver
with the alternate description or just change the description
in pci.ids.

thanks

nate