[CentOS] TwinView (on NVIDIA graphics card)?

Mon Jul 20 11:20:34 UTC 2009
lostson <lostson at lostsonsvault.org>

On Monday 20 July 2009 03:13, Toralf Lund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is anyone here using TwinView with NVIDIA graphics drivers under CentOS
> 5? Just tried this configuration (I've been using dual monitors as
> separate X screens in the past), and while it works in a sense, there
> are a few issue that will probably prevent me from using it for real.
> Notably, which screen new applications start on (when using the
> Applications menu or panel launchers) seems to be quite arbitrary. I
> expect windows to open on whichever screen I initiated their creation, I
> suppose, but they will often  appear on the other one. This is using the
> GNOME desktop.
>
> Another slight issue is with the notification icons. I really want to
> display duplicates of these, so I can view them on both screens, but is
> seems like the Notification Area doesn't work this way, i.e. it will
> never display more than one of each icon even when there are several
> instances of the area. But this is a problem I also have when using
> separate X screens.
>
> So, what are other people's experiences with a dual monitor setup?
>
> - Toralf

      Hello
 I have used twins for years actually and have always had very good results
with my setups. I always have used KDE with it though and KDE has settings
for dual monitors as to what screen applications start on, also Kwin has an
option to remember where a window was and will always put that application
back where it was when you closed it. I mostly used my twins as one giant
monitor versus two seperate screens but when i did it worked the same way.

 As far as the system tray issue i have never tried to have 2 separate system
trays running but they have always showed the same icons no matter how i used
the trays and panels.

 There is some very good documentation on nvidia's site about all the possible
options you can use for twinview. Its a very long read but it comes in pdf
form so at least you can have it locally when needed, mainly because its a
long document and it takes time to go through it all. Other than that like i
said I have used twins for years and have always enjoyed it. At one time i
had two graphics cards and four monitors going at once, it was quite a fun
setup, one monitor for irc, one monitor for web browsing, one for vim/emacs/
other various ide's and one for multimedia apps amarok kaffeine etc. I hope
you enjoy multiple monitors as much as i do it can take alot of reading and
tweaking but once you get a xorg.conf setup the way you want just make sure
you back it up so you can keep it with you from machine to machine or from
upgrades and such as well.

--
LostSon

http://lostsonsvault.org