[CentOS] TwinView (on NVIDIA graphics card)?

Mon Jul 20 12:02:59 UTC 2009
Toralf Lund <toralf.lund at pgs.com>

lostson wrote:
> On Monday 20 July 2009 03:13, Toralf Lund wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is anyone here using TwinView with NVIDIA graphics drivers under CentOS
>> 5? Just tried this configuration (I've been using dual monitors as
>> separate X screens in the past), and while it works in a sense, there
>> are a few issue that will probably prevent me from using it for real.
>> Notably, which screen new applications start on (when using the
>> Applications menu or panel launchers) seems to be quite arbitrary. I
>> expect windows to open on whichever screen I initiated their creation, I
>> suppose, but they will often  appear on the other one. This is using the
>> GNOME desktop.
>>
>> Another slight issue is with the notification icons. I really want to
>> display duplicates of these, so I can view them on both screens, but is
>> seems like the Notification Area doesn't work this way, i.e. it will
>> never display more than one of each icon even when there are several
>> instances of the area. But this is a problem I also have when using
>> separate X screens.
>>
>> So, what are other people's experiences with a dual monitor setup?
>>
>> - Toralf
>>

>       Hello
>  I have used twins for years actually and have always had very good results
> with my setups. I always have used KDE with it though and KDE has settings
> for dual monitors as to what screen applications start on,
Right. I suppose these issues are desktop environment and/or window
manager specific, though, so maybe I'll have to wait for answers from
people using GNOME. I might try logging in to KDE just to see how it all
works there, though...

>  also Kwin has an
> option to remember where a window was and will always put that application
> back where it was when you closed it.
This is precisely what I don't want, but the way. If I open an
application on monitor 0, then close it, and hit the application's
launcher icon on screen 1, I want the application to open on screen one,
and not pop up on screen 0 just because that's where it lived earlier.

>  I mostly used my twins as one giant
> monitor versus two seperate screens but when i did it worked the same way.
>
>  As far as the system tray issue i have never tried to have 2 separate system
> trays running but they have always showed the same icons no matter how i used
> the trays and panels.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that... That if you run one system
tray then it will generally display all system tray icons? Well, that's
kind of obvious isn't it - unless you are used to horribly broken
applications?
>  There is some very good documentation on nvidia's site about all the possible
> options you can use for twinview. Its a very long read but it comes in pdf

OK. I'll have a look...

- Thanks