[CentOS] Need to rebuild installation CD

Fri Jun 19 09:31:49 UTC 2009

On 06/19/2009 08:33 AM, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> The problem we have is that the CD does not support our CDROM (it8213).  I have managed to compile the driver from the sources, and I have a boot stiffy. So I have managed to load the server, the problem is that we need to load about 10 of these server every week and the Linux guru (me) is not always able to drop his work and load servers.
> I need to implement the driver on the installation CD so that the kickstart file is read and run
>
> Is there a way to hack around this problem?

yes, dont bother with all this stuff - just setup a network boot
environment with something like cobbler ( http://cobbler.et.redhat.com/
) and you are off. If you need cdrom support post-install, you can
always use a %post stanza in your kickstart to get it into place.

You will find its a lot easier to also import multiple distro's /
versions's and share kickstarts, edit them - And remember, http installs
are the fastest installs if you server is on the same lan.

The _only_ time you ever need to really fiddle with the install media is
when your network card drivers need tweaking :)

- KB