[CentOS] (a) WinPower RPM available? (b) where to install if use tar.gz file?

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Mon Mar 2 11:29:46 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-01 at 15:06 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> > I would like to "roll my own" RPM for the WinPower UPS monitoring
> > software. Never done this before. I have the WinPower tarball on my
> > box. I have installed the development tools. I followed Filipe's How
> > to:
> > <http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/SetupRpmBuildEnvironment>
> > and these commands:
> > mkdir -p ~/rpmbuild/{BUILD,RPMS,SOURCES,SPECS,SRPMS}
> > echo '%_topdir %(echo $HOME)/rpmbuild' > ~/.rpmmacros
> > (for a non root user)
> >
> > Questions:
> > (1) After I unzip the WinPower tarball, what command(s) do I use to
> > create an RPM for WinPower?
> > (2) Is there any need to install the development kernel for this?
> > (This is a fully updated CentOS 5.2 box, 32 bit)
> >
> Follow on: Neither of the 2 books I have for reference explain how to
> do this. Looks like the SPEC file is the biggest mystery for me. I
> discovered rpm.org and will do some online reading about RPM there.

Long ago on a planet far away... (-: or was that near the beginning of
this thread? :-) checkinstall was mentioned.

	less /usr/share/doc/checkinstall-1.6.0/README
	less /usr/share/doc/checkinstall-1.6.0/FAQ
	checkinstall --help

May be a moot point given other recent posts in the thread, but for
creating an RPM from scratch see:
http://genetikayos.com/code/repos/rpm-tutorial/trunk/rpm-tutorial.html

If a spec file is included then "rpmbuild -ta tarballname.tgz" may work.

Rolling your own RPM if a spec file is not included in the tarball is an
exercise left for the student RPM builder.

Phil