[CentOS] (a) WinPower RPM available? (b) where to install if use tar.gz file?

Mon Mar 2 13:41:14 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 6:29 AM, Phil Schaffner <P.R.Schaffner at ieee.org> wrote:
<snip>
>> discovered rpm.org and will do some online reading about RPM there.
>
> Long ago on a planet far away... (-: or was that near the beginning of
> this thread? :-) checkinstall was mentioned.

By you and I installed it, shortly after I read your post. Thanks!

>        less /usr/share/doc/checkinstall-1.6.0/README
>        less /usr/share/doc/checkinstall-1.6.0/FAQ
>        checkinstall --help
>
> May be a moot point given other recent posts in the thread, but for
> creating an RPM from scratch see:
> http://genetikayos.com/code/repos/rpm-tutorial/trunk/rpm-tutorial.html

Thank you for that link. I will read it later.

> If a spec file is included then "rpmbuild -ta tarballname.tgz" may work.

If that's all it takes, with a spec file,  easy.

As you probably know, when I looked at the contents of the tarball
yesterday, it was a lot of JRE stuff. No source, no spec file. When I
need something that isn't packaged and I try to roll my first package,
I need at least the Binary and hopefully the Source. Open Source   :-)

> Rolling your own RPM if a spec file is not included in the tarball is an
> exercise left for the student RPM builder.

I did some reading yesterday of a book about RPM on rpm.org  and
writing a spec file looks like something that may involve a lot of
trial and especially error, to get it correct.

With regard to the UPS, will look into nuts and apcupds more when I
can, to see if I can figure out how to configure them for this UPS. We
still have one Tripp Lite UPS that works, so I need to get  their SW
and see if it will shutdown that box.