[CentOS] Cannot get CentOS to install

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Tue Mar 10 21:59:04 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 16:37 -0500, Michael Peterson wrote:
> I used google but did not come up with anything current to solve my problem.
> I have not tried any other search engines yet.
> There is not a search for the CentOS list so I am creating a new post.

See below - it's really hard to find.

> I have tested the CentOS 5.2 and RHEL 5.3 CD's and they passed.
> I had to use linux mediacheck ide=nodma to get them to pass.
> The newest releases seem to most times fail with just linux mediacheck.

Try making the media after padding the iso image with about 300k of
zeros. When you search the archives (there is a search - I'll mention
below) there are a couple of threads about this.

> I have tried linux ide=nodma and
> linux text ide=nodma after trying
> linux and
> linux text
>
> Anaconda fails on both CentOS 5.2 and RHEL 5.3 in all cases.

With only 512MB or ram you will have to use text mode only, IIRC. Also
in the archives. There's also some threads that mention noacpi, acpi=no
and some other stuff I can't recall.

> The system I am trying to install on is running CentOS 3.x.
>
> The hardware is P4 2.8 CPU, 512 MB RAM, 120GB 3ware IDE/PATA RAID HD,
> ATI Video, CDRW CD, Dual Nic, Floppy and IDE/PATA Tape drive.
>
> Please provide any options to the kernel that I should try besides the
> ones mentioned above that fail.
> <snip>

For your google searches, go to the advanced section and specify
centos.org. That gets what's in the archives. To search directly from
CentOS site, click "Search" on http://centos.org/

HTH,
--
Bill