[CentOS] live audio feed via telephone link

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Mar 25 23:32:07 UTC 2009

on 3-25-2009 4:21 PM Frank Cox spake the following:
> On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 18:15:22 -0500
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>> Can't you find a place that has both radio reception and internet
>> service to park something like shoutcast?
>
> The immediate objective is to get the signal to somewhere that has (reliable)
> Internet access.  The ultimate objective is to stream it online, but we have to
> get the signal out to where we can do that first.  And the closest place that
> has good service is out-of-range of the signal during the day.  (It sounds fine
> after dark and when the weather is "just so" but that's not much help with a
> 24-hour stream.)

If the radi station has phone lines, they should be able to get something like
a T1 or fractional part. Much more reliable and more bandwidth. Or look into a
microwave or satellite link. I don't think you will be able to compress a
radio signal enough to fit over a dial line without a lot of loss. You would
need several lines multiplexed together for a decent sounding broadcast.

There are many point to point links that will cover 40 miles (65 km).
I don't know how far you have to go.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and