[CentOS] Getting ready for CentOS 5.4

Jimmy Bradley bmobile40 at ocellaris.net
Mon Mar 30 05:06:17 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-29 at 21:24 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-03-29 at 22:56 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
> > So what would be the down side to just walking away from everything
> > RH-related now that Ubuntu has a free alternative with long term
> > support?   I thought perhaps when I mentioned it earlier there would be
> > a flurry of responses pointing out functional deficiencies but so far
> > there have been none.   I would never have started using RH in the early
> > days if it had not been freely redistributable.  Now the clones are
> > better than nothing, but it still seems wrong.
> ----
> There's nothing inherently wrong with Ubuntu as far as I can tell and
> yes, some versions do have long term support and you can purchase
> support from Canonical. But you've been around long enough to know all
> this so I'm not sure what point you are trying to make because each
> Linux distribution has its own strengths and weaknesses and that
> includes RHEL (CentOS) and Ubuntu, etc.
>
> Craig

       This is just my 2 cents worth. The reason I run Cent OS is
because it just seems to be rock solid stable. That's something I
haven't seen in any of the other distros, or MS Windows.
       My computers are my lifeline to my jobs. I get my assignments by
way of my computer, and I report my completed assignments on my
computer. It's bad enough to have to deal with hardware failures from
time to time, so the last thing I want to deal with on top of that is  a
finicky OS or software.
       I run Cent OS on both of my laptops, and all three of my
desktops, and I can power any one of those machines up, and so far Cent
OS has never failed me. Cent OS just works. That's what matters to me.

       Just my 2 cents

       Jim