[CentOS] Getting ready for CentOS 5.4

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 15:58:45 UTC 2009

Chan Chung Hang Christopher wrote:

> I don't know the state of Nexenta but I can live with Indiana. As a
> desktop, it was nice to get Nvidia drivers bundled, a working
> thunderbird + lightning plugin enabled, working sound (can I repeat
> that?), pidgin, openoffice (needless to say), sunstudioexpress, gcc,
> printer support, nice crisp looking fonts, compiz if that is your things
> and later xchat, ekiga...but no mplayer/vlc (not initially anyway...have
> to check with latest), no KDE (although there are packages outside the
> repo available), had to download a mp3 plugin for gstream, and learn a
> whole load of Solaris stuff unless you use dhcp.

I used Solaris eons ago, back when it was expensive and buggy - and I
really hate to pay for bugfixes.  So, when the cost of a new pentium box
  with (at the time) freely redistributable RH linux was less than the
Solaris update required to fix some things, I switched.  But
circumstances have changed drastically on both sides now and it may be
time to switch back for exactly the same reason.

> Either way, it is worth looking at nexenta too. I had this thing for Sun
> cc compiled asterisk so I dropped nexenta and moved to Solaris Express
> and later Indiana.

Nexenta seems like such a good idea, but the team's main focus appears
to be on their commercial storage appliance.

> No flar or instantly install on thousands of servers support for Indiana
> though. For some things, RHEL just stands on top. Maybe I should give
> Fedora a try once again.

Is there an equivalent to clonezilla that will work with zfs?  I'm not
particularly thrilled with distro/version specific schemes anyway.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com