[CentOS] Getting ready for CentOS 5.4

Ross Walker rswwalker at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 00:12:49 UTC 2009

On Mar 30, 2009, at 11:58 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

> Chan Chung Hang Christopher wrote:
>> I don't know the state of Nexenta but I can live with Indiana. As a
>> desktop, it was nice to get Nvidia drivers bundled, a working
>> thunderbird + lightning plugin enabled, working sound (can I repeat
>> that?), pidgin, openoffice (needless to say), sunstudioexpress, gcc,
>> printer support, nice crisp looking fonts, compiz if that is your
>> things
>> and later xchat, ekiga...but no mplayer/vlc (not initially
>> anyway...have
>> to check with latest), no KDE (although there are packages outside
>> the
>> repo available), had to download a mp3 plugin for gstream, and
>> learn a
>> whole load of Solaris stuff unless you use dhcp.
> I used Solaris eons ago, back when it was expensive and buggy - and I
> really hate to pay for bugfixes.  So, when the cost of a new pentium
> box
>  with (at the time) freely redistributable RH linux was less than the
> Solaris update required to fix some things, I switched.  But
> circumstances have changed drastically on both sides now and it may be
> time to switch back for exactly the same reason.
>> Either way, it is worth looking at nexenta too. I had this thing
>> for Sun
>> cc compiled asterisk so I dropped nexenta and moved to Solaris
>> Express
>> and later Indiana.
> Nexenta seems like such a good idea, but the team's main focus appears
> to be on their commercial storage appliance.
>> No flar or instantly install on thousands of servers support for
>> Indiana
>> though. For some things, RHEL just stands on top. Maybe I should give
>> Fedora a try once again.
> Is there an equivalent to clonezilla that will work with zfs?  I'm not
> particularly thrilled with distro/version specific schemes anyway.

I would love something like Nexenta, but with a CentOS userland.

Imagine an unencumbered kernel with the stability of CentOS userland

You get ZFS/ARC, dtrace, smf, fma, plus the Solaris IP stack which is
quite robust, with all the command line tools you are use to.

Think SELinux could be ported to the Solaris kernel?