[CentOS] I see 5.3 ISO images on the mirrors

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Tue Mar 31 18:42:09 UTC 2009

> On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Florin Andrei wrote:
>
> > On one mirror that I tried, at least.
> >
> > So, is it live yet? :-)
>
> Almost. Another several more hours before they all sync, and then we're
> good to go.
>
> BTW, how does this work? If I want to go from 5.2 to 5.3, can I just
> type "yum upgrade"? If so, what /etc/yum.repos.d entry has to be active
> for that?

You don't need to change anything.  'yum update' will update things,
within a given major release (eg 4.x or 5.x).  It will happen
automagically.  Going from 4.x to 5.x requires using the installer (eg
the ISOs and a reboot with the installer CD/DVD). I don't know if it is
possible (or advisable) to do a major release update with yum.