[CentOS] I see 5.3 ISO images on the mirrors

Tue Mar 31 23:38:32 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Florin Andrei wrote:
>> > On one mirror that I tried, at least.
>> > So, is it live yet? :-)
>> Almost. Another several more hours before they all sync, and then we're
>> good to go.
>>
>> BTW, how does this work? If I want to go from 5.2 to 5.3, can I just
>> type "yum upgrade"? If so, what /etc/yum.repos.d entry has to be active
>> for that?
>
> You don't need to change anything.  'yum update' will update things,
> within a given major release (eg 4.x or 5.x).  It will happen
> automagically.  Going from 4.x to 5.x requires using the installer (eg
> the ISOs and a reboot with the installer CD/DVD). I don't know if it is
> possible (or advisable) to do a major release update with yum.

Maybe possible, but usually/always strongly discouraged, by upstream
and the CentOS team, to upgrade from one major release to another.
Best to BACKUP and install fresh.

The caution about first updating glibc (?) is important. I recall from
the  update to 5.2, there is a difference, between "yum upgrade" and
"yum update". I believe "yum upgrade" is a better way to go from 5.2
to 5.3.    *BACKUP*, read the Release Notes and then you are ready to
roll. Probably the standard CentOS Repos that you have from the
original install will do it.