[CentOS] Cannot open port 631 for Cups printer sharing

Mon Mar 2 21:23:55 UTC 2009
JohnS <jses27 at gmail.com>

On Mon, 2009-03-02 at 15:46 -0500, b.j. mcclure wrote:

> I think the first problem is we have somehow merged two threads.  The
> first was Mr. Wells issue which is different from mine.  His port 631 is
> "open" when nmap is run from localhost but not when run against the IP.
> My port 631 is closed regardless of whether it is run from localhost or
> remotely against the IP.  My cupsd.conf works.  An identical machine
> co-located has an identical cupsd.conf and shares the same printer
> nicely on the same LAN.  The same nmap configuration run against that
> machine shows port 631 open in both above cases.  My conclusion, FWIW,
> is that it is not a cups config issue but a port issue.
>
> Also, the cups site link confirms that @LOCAL means local network which
> is all I'm looking for.  The laserjet 1300 has been supported for at
> least a few years now.
Correct

Lets get something straight. You "B.J"  are using a machine to be a
spooler for clients? 2 machines exactly? 2 machines acting as Spooler
Servers? Correct? The main issue is Clients can not see (connect) to the
machine because no open port.
1. Can the spooler machine in question print locally?
2. Whats the RPM version for cups

JohnStanley