[CentOS] Need Broadcom 4311 firmware for CentOS 5

Tue Mar 3 18:54:59 UTC 2009
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> Any hope of getting my laptop's Broadcom BCM94311 wireless running
> on CentOS 5?  I find lots of references to using fwcutter to get
> the needed firmware from Windows drivers, but there's a Catch-22:
>
>     Version of fwcutter that generate files for the bcm43xx driver
>     in CentOS 5 don't recognize the md5sum of any currently
>     available Windows driver.
>
>     Newer versions of fwcutter do recognize my Windows XP driver
>     files, but generate output in a newer format that is not
>     compatible with the bcm43xx driver.
>
> I've been searching and fighting this for quite some time.  I
> have a Fedora 10 installation that runs the wireless just fine
> on that laptop (Lenovo 3000 N200), but I really hate the churn
> and instability of Fedora.  I was hoping that CentOS 5.3 might
> include a backported b43 driver, but I grabbed a preliminary
> version of the new kernel (2.6.18-132), and it still has the
> old bcm43xx.ko driver.

If the wireless card is on a miniPCI card, it is possible to replace it
with an Intel ipw2100 type card.  Going to the Intel wireless means you
can use the fully supported open drivers that come with the kernels and
not have to message with dealing with MS-Windows drivers or closed
source drivers.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933