[CentOS] Need Broadcom 4311 firmware for CentOS 5

Wed Mar 4 14:32:32 UTC 2009
Robert Nichols <rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net>

Robert Heller wrote:

>> Any hope of getting my laptop's Broadcom BCM94311 wireless running
>> on CentOS 5?  I find lots of references to using fwcutter to get
>> the needed firmware from Windows drivers, but there's a Catch-22:
[SNIP]
>> I've been searching and fighting this for quite some time.  I
>> have a Fedora 10 installation that runs the wireless just fine
>> on that laptop (Lenovo 3000 N200), but I really hate the churn
>> and instability of Fedora.  I was hoping that CentOS 5.3 might
>> include a backported b43 driver, but I grabbed a preliminary
>> version of the new kernel (2.6.18-132), and it still has the
>> old bcm43xx.ko driver.
>
> If the wireless card is on a miniPCI card, it is possible to replace it
> with an Intel ipw2100 type card.  Going to the Intel wireless means you
> can use the fully supported open drivers that come with the kernels and
> not have to message with dealing with MS-Windows drivers or closed
> source drivers.

Those ipw2100 cards seem to be scarce as hen's teeth now, and the new
IBM/Lenovo laptops are reported to be very picky about what wireless
cards the BIOS will accept.  I can get an Intel WM3945ABG card, one
that should be compatible, quite cheaply.  It appears that the iwlwifi
driver in the new kernel supports that.  I just need to see if I can
find an equivalent for a Broadcom-specific tool that I find quite
useful under Windows XP, and then I can go that way.

Based on all the (much appreciated) info everyone has provided, I'm
not going to further pursue getting CentOS 5.[23] to work with
Broadcom wireless.

                 Do NOT delete it.