[CentOS] hplip problems - configure: error: "cannot find libjpeg support"

Fri Mar 13 13:10:06 UTC 2009
Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>

On Thursday 12 March 2009 15:59:04 Roger Wells wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Thursday 12 March 2009 14:45:27 Roger Wells wrote:
> >> I actually did install the home printer last night (Photosmart C6180).
> >> "hp-setup' ran fine, discovered the printer and installed it just as it
> >> did for the LJ4350 (it didn't find the correct PPD file but...).
> >> The good news is that even though hp-toolbox won't run the Centos
> >> Scanner Tool works.
> >> It discovered the scanner correctly and I was able to operate with it as
> >> expected.  The scanner is also available within appropriate applications
> >> such as OpenOffice and the Gimp.
> >>
> >> So maybe we don't need hp-toolbox so much after all.
> >
> > Glad you got it working, Roger.  I knew I wouldn't have time to have
> > another go at this until tomorrow.  So did you use the 3.9.2 version?
> > Anything to report about the actual installation?
>
> yes the hplip version is 3.9.2.   First I removed the installed version
> which was 1.6.7, I think.  Then I followed the
> directions at:
>
> http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install/manual/distros/centos.html
>
> This went well but the "hp-check" near the end indicated two or three
> errors that would show up at run-time were
> present.  These are some of what we have been discussing in this thread
> and are apparently the ones that will prevent
> "hp-toolbox" from running.  They do not apparently affect "hp-setup".
> .
> Run hp-setup as root (the only way) and it should find your printers.
> For each of mine a warning was issued:
>
> error: No PPD found for model laserjet_4350. Trying old algorithm...
>

> In the case of the C6180 this resulted in all printing going to 4x6 inch
> pages to a printer that only had photograph
> page size options.  When offered to search for PPD files during
> installation you can take that route and search
> in /usr/share/ppd/HP for a more appropriate driver.  Why "hp-setup"
> doesn't find drivers there I don't know.
> I had to select the one with the ".gz" extension to avoid an error about
> a missing "foomatic-rip-hplip" something
> or other.  You can apparently do this "PPD" changeover after installation.

Thanks.  I hope to get to this later today.

> I did that with the C6180.  If it still insists on printing in a 4x6
> format I will report back.
>
> As I said earlier the Centos 5.2 Scanner Tool seems to work just fine.

I distinctly remember that when I installed hplip on this (Mandriva) laptop
for the C7180 I also had the 4x6 problem.  I found that there were three
places that could affect it.  I think they were CUPS setup, KPrinter setup and
hplip setup.  Two out of three were correct.  The third said 4x6.  I'm not
certain, but I think I had to change KPrinter defaults.  Anyway, that's the
line to investigate.  It didn't take me too long to find it, so I'm sure you
will find it too.

Anne