[CentOS] update yum

Tue Mar 24 21:06:38 UTC 2009
Phil Schaffner <Philip.R.Schaffner at NASA.gov>

Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 2:09 AM, madunix <madunix at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Am trying to update my wine i get the following ..
>> [] download]# yum update wine*
>>  * epel: ftp.nluug.nl
>>  * rpmforge: fr2.rpmfind.net
>>  * base: ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de
>>  * updates: ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de
>>  * addons: ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de
>>  * extras: ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de
>> 0 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
> As someone else pointed out, you really need to get Priority working,
> before you trash that box. When I installed EPEL, a month or so ago, I
> gave it a very low priority, the lowest priority of any of the
> Repositories I use. The number of packages being excluded, on my
> CentOS 5.2 (32 bit) Desktop increased from approximately 350 to 1560,
> when EPEL was added.

Somewhat OT, but I find that a combination of priorities and excludes is
required to get what I want.  I also use a low priority for EPEL but,
for instance, want their later rkhunter version so it is necessary to
exclude that in rpmforge.repo to have it install/update.

Phil